A new Civil War blog has been launched to honor the Union infantry regiment known as the 47th Pennsylvania Volunteers. Formed by the fruit of the Keystone State’s small towns and cities – many of whom were of German heritage and came from families which spoke mostly German or “Pennsylvania Dutch” at home, the young men of the 47th came together as one at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania’s Camp Curtin during August and September of 1861. They were led by Colonel Tilghman Good and Lieutenant Colonel G.W. Alexander, and would help to defend the nation’s capital, serve as the only Pennsylvania regiment participating in Union General Nathaniel Banks’ Red River Campaign in Louisiana, and distinguish themselves during the tide-turning 1864 Shenandoah Valley Campaign of legendary Union General Philip Sheridan.
To learn more, please visit: 47th Pennsylvania Volunteers.